Sunday, March 14, 2010

Re-living the eternal LOVE STORY

Erich Segal's LOVE STORY.Have you read it??Well if you are in search of a short but gripping love story then this is one emotion filled pick.

I read it when I had just completed my schooling and was waiting for college.Happened to stumble across it when I watched a hindi movie in which the on-screen romantic couple are besotted by this book.Since I was looking for ways to kill my time I decided to find out whats all the hype with this book.After all the book promised it was for someone who is in love,was in love or hoped to be in love.And so I bought it one weekend.

I admit I did not put it down till I finished the last page.However my liking increased over the years each time I read the book.The more I read it the more I was awed by it.Can there be a love like that between Oliver and Jenny?Is it true love if they are always picking at each other and calling each other profanities??What was it about these 2 characters and what they shared that was so captivating?Their message 'Love means never having to say you're sorry',well how correct is that?

The movie was like icing to the cake.The actors were able to portray the roles well and my heart went out to them.The characters made you smile and cry at the same time.By the end of the movie as when I had come to the last page of the book,I was in tears.

Even though I read the sequel Oliver's story I slowly understood that it could not compete with the first but I loved the ending however.

Are such stories successful because of the sad endings?The fact that two people in love are not able to spend the rest of their lives together because of their bad luck is heart wrenching but definitely makes the book more difficult to put down.
 
So all those who haven't read it yet go grab some tissues and start from page one.And those who have read it earlier and loved it,get started again to go through that emotional rollercoster ride once more.

And if you have come across a beautiful love story as this one please let me know the name as the world is writing less and less heart-tugging love stories nowadays.So till then ciao.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hey sumi.....a nice one there.....i suggest u give a readin thru khalid Hosseini's"A thousand spelndid suns"....its not like the Love story @ all....but it tugs at ur heart so much that u will b shaken for many days post the book.....it brings u a hope,faith and a bucket full fo gratitude for the life u have and oft tend to take for granted......give it a read...and im sure ull comment on tht one.......shameena